Chapter 4 Questions for reflection and discussion
1. If the Chancellor of the Exchequer is not necessarily qualified as an economist, how experienced in the law should the Secretary of State for Justice be?
2. How can the independence of the judiciary be best protected?
3. Is the appraisal of judicial performance desirable? Can it be achieved without adversely affecting judicial independence?
4. Should more be done to promote diversity in the judiciary?
5. Should judges be elected (as they are in some parts of the United States)?
6. Is judicial training desirable? How might it be developed?
7. Should there be a national police force?
8. How can government policy making on justice issues be made more coherent?
9. Should the Attorney General remain as a government minister or have a role more independent of government?