Chapter 2 Questions for reflection and discussion
1. What role do you think law plays in the development of society? Is it necessary for a society to reach a particular level of development before law can play a useful role?
2. What are the consequences for a country of not accepting the importance of the rule of law?
3. How should the balance between the preservation of civil liberty and the maintenance of social order be best preserved?
4. Can law protect the economically weak? If not, why not?
5. What should be the relationship between law and morality? When should things we disapprove of be made unlawful?
6. To what extent can principles of law be employed in the ordering of international affairs?
7. How successful is law in shaping people’s behaviour?
8. Are there other functions, apart from those set out in Chapter 2, that you think law plays in the ordering of society? Would you classify these functions as macro or micro?