Key points for reflection:
- States as international legal persons, and thus possessing legal subjecthood
- Legal subjects are capable of bearing rights and duties/obligations, though this is dependent on the type of legal person (e.g. States, international organisations, corporations, NGOs, human persons)
- Recognition of States: the relationship between declaratory and constitutive theories and their explanatory value.
- Collective recognition as a middle way?
- What of a duty to recognise certain entities if they fulfil certain criteria?
- Recognition governments and its effects in domestic law