- Understand how political scientists think about and define the state.
- Comprehend the basic roles and activities of modern states.
- Learn the major theories of state formation produced by comparative analysts.
- Deepen their understanding of how hypotheses can be developed with the use of case studies in comparative politics
- The Modern State
- State Capacity
- Failed States
- The State–Society Relationship
- Characteristics of Modern States
- Functions of States
- Order, Administration, and “Legibility”