● Occupiers’ liability is based upon the law of negligence.
● Occupiers’ liability is one of the few areas in tort which is now largely regulated by statute.
● The key statutes are the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 and the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1984.
● Liability to lawful entrants is viewed differently from liability to trespassers.
● In determining to whom the duty is owed, it is necessary to identify the status of the entrant onto land.
● To determine who owes the duty, the main criterion is control of the land.