- TrackMyHashtag. https://www.trackmyhashtag.com/
This website provides services that can analyze Twitter data, including hashtags and @-mentions. Although the full service requires payment, you can use it to draw a sample of up to 100 tweets using a hashtag or @-mention, in order to see how you would move from having a sample to a content or discourse analysis using that data.
- Gee, James P. 2014. An Introduction to Discourse Analysis: Theory and Method. 4th ed. New York: Routledge.
Presents the key features of discourse analysis and discusses how this methodological technique can be applied to concrete empirical examples.
- Grimmer, Justin and Brandon M. Stewart. 2013. “Text as Data: The Promise and Pitfalls of Automatic Content Analysis Methods for Political Texts.” Political Analysis 21 (3): 267–97.
Reviews the pros and cons of using automated content analysis to analyze texts in political science research.
- Krippendorff, Klaus. 2013. Content Analysis: An Introduction to Its Methodology. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Provides an accessible introduction to the conceptual and methodological aspects of content analysis and its applications.
- Saldaña, Johnny. 2013. The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers. 2nd ed. London: Sage Publications.
Provides an in-depth guide to the multiple approaches available for coding qualitative data, including the profile of 32 coding methods.