- Chalmers, Alan F. 2013. What Is This Thing Called Science? 4th ed. Indianapolis: Hackett.
A concise and accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts of social scientific thinking and research.
- Andersen, Hanne and Brian Hepburn, “Scientific Method”, The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Summer 2016 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2016/entries/scientific-method/.
A detailed essay on the philosophical foundations of the scientific method.
- ReStore National Centre for Research Methods. http://www.restore.ac.uk.
A useful repository of online research methods resources in the social sciences.
- Shapiro, Ian. 2002. “Problems, Methods, and Theories in the Study of Politics, or What’s Wrong with Political Science and What to Do about It.” Political Theory 30(4), 596-619.
Explores some of the challenges of choosing research questions in political science.
- Yanow, Dvora and Schwartz-Shea, Peregrine. 2012. Interpretive Research Design: Concepts and Processes. New York: Routledge.
A good introduction to alternatives to positivism from within political science.