Access and sampling issues
Chapters 9 & 13
- Who do you need to study in order to investigate your research questions?
- How easily can you gain access to a sampling frame?
- You need to confirm at the earliest opportunity that you have the necessary permission to conduct your work. This is sometimes a prerequisite of ethical approval.
- (Also see page 209)
- What kind of sampling strategy will you employ?
- e.g. probability sampling, quota sampling, theoretical sampling, convenience sampling
- Can you justify your choice of sampling method?
- How will you select your sample size?
- With small or targeted samples, how have you selected your participants?
- (Also see pages 195-197, 397-399)
Sample Size and Confidence Interval Calculators:
www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html - from Raosoft
www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm - from Creative Research Systems
To see video clips of students talking about access and sampling issues, click here
Exercise: sample size